Sunday, October 25, 2009

Kenna: Beads



Decided to turn to the dark side today. Comparatively speaking, this isn't one of the darkest pictures I've released. It is well exposed for highlights produces a great sense of form and features around the face. Very much along the line of the other pictures of Kenna.

In fact I burned the area around her right eye quite extensively to remove everything but a hint of her eyes. It's simply not a part of the picture that I needed/wanted.

And we went directly with B&W and ditched any version of the color at all. B&W conversion plus a gradient map as usual.

Played a lot with sharpening today. Did the usual sharpening and then even tried my hand at some smart sharpening. Not sure if the results are exactly what I was looking for just yet. Might be too sharp, especially after some output sharpening (today going with low output sharpening).

Different yet the same? I don't know. I like this picture though, particularly of the shadows on the face. You tired of shadows yet?

Camera info: D3/24-70 f/2.8G @58mm, 1/200th, f/7.1, ISO200

Strobist info: This is actually a variation of Bear: Light Fall-off. I used the AB800 with strip softbox pointed directly at the background paper from camera right to feather the light onto Kenna. Then I added a AB800 kicker/rim light with 20 degree grid from camera front right to create highlights. Staying behind the softbox and out of line-of-sight of the kicker light prevented flares from the kicker/rim light but I was not always so careful...

Model: Kenna Cade

Makeup: Kelli Zehnder

Wardrobe: Michelle Green


No comments:

Post a Comment