Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Medium format madness







A couple days ago I mentioned I rented a Mamiya 645AFDII with a film back and 80mm f/2.8 for the weekend. Here are some results for comparison.

The results are shocking. The film was processed at Samy's and then scanned into a digital file. The file itself is a 4.3MP JPEG 8-bit. My D3 outputs 12.1MP RAW 14-bit files.

The first two side-by-side comparisons are unretouched images. The 3rd comparison was adjusted only for color and exposure so you can compare the images without the difference in color cast and tint. Which ones are which? The ones that look like they were taken with a Canon Powershot belong to the D3. I'm going to go cry now. I'm still surprised at how different the files are. The medium format files handle shadows and highlights so much better with respects to dynamic range.

1 comment:

  1. I can totally see the difference!!!! WOW!!!

    _sarah_ :)

    ReplyDelete