Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Tip of the day: Good models

This has always been an unsaid rule of my photography but I shoot the most beautiful women I can find. No one could possibly disagree with this. I mean it's painfully, "hit me over the head with a bat" obvious. I've worked with some of the most beautiful women on Earth.

Do I have to elaborate on why?

Well, for starters I'm a guy. If working with beautiful isn't one of the driving forces for what I do, then I wouldn't be writing about this and you wouldn't be reading this. Hell, if it weren't for gorgeous women, you probably wouldn't even be interested in photography :)

Sure that's tongue-in-cheek. Of course, there's always landscape... because shooting rocks is so sexy. The only canyons I wanna see are... ;)

In all seriousness do you think my pictures would be half as good or even 1% as good if I shot ugly people? Remember those pictures of me on flickr? I had to dress like a clown to get anyone to look at pictures of me. Yeah, that's right. The one with the red shorts hiked up to my neck.

But I digress. The point is that your subject
makes your image. The better the model, the better the picture. My images are 99% model and 1% me. Girls like Amanda. Her shoot with me was her first photoshoot and she does this:


Really, do you think I had any part in making this image? Amanda wakes up in the morning and when she's brushing her teeth there's a goddess staring at her through the mirror.

Yes, girls like Amanda make my job easy. I could be a monkey with a camera. Hell, I could be Terry Richardson and still get great shots ;P as long as I shot girls like Amanda.

When you work with goddesses, you can do no wrong. I promise you this. There are certain girls you simply can't take a bad shot of. And on those days/shoots you will feel like a god. And those pictures will be immortal.

Choose your models wisely.

4 comments:

  1. You're so right. There's a saying that goes "I'm only as good as my last model". Really its about the impression you want to give off, and shooting beautiful people is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. being said it is your blog so your only stating your own opioion but i have to disagree a good model doesnt have to be beautiful they have to be photogenic. I've seen some beautiful women but put them in front of a camera they look as very unflattering, put a woamn that is androgynous, in person they are unattractive and then in front a of camera they photograph beautifuly...as the old sayin goes " Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been working with lots of models lately...surprisingly.. I found some that is looking "not beautiful" but when I came back home to check the images....and I have to say "MAN!she is GOOD"

    Anyway, I took your advise very much now aday ... yes, you can't do wrong with the beautiful one :)
    I'm glad I did learn from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Updated post here: http://lucimablog.blogspot.com/2010/10/good-vs-good-looking.html

    ReplyDelete