Friday, October 1, 2010

Rorschach geometry



In creating these images, I was subtly reminded of Rorschach inkblot tests, to which I've never been subjected. I enjoyed doing this little exercise because the geometry in these images provide structure and is often at the heart of the sets that I create for my shoots. Why do the lines behave the way they do? Why are the walls placed the way they are? Why do the gradients fall the way they fall? Sometimes it's luck. Other times it's by design. Oddly, in structure and symmetry there's lots of randomness and chance. At least in my work.

I present to you some of the driving inspirations that randomize in my mind :)


Raina Hein and architecture. H3DII-31/HC-80mm. 1/350th f/9.5 ISO100


Margaux in the box. H3DII-31/80mm. 1/500th f/8.0 ISO100

2 comments:

  1. Very cool! I like your use of the boards in the first image. It makes for some interesting lines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Charles,

    I haven't written in a while and thought I'd drop by and say, "Howdy." I looked at your image of Raina and thought to myself, "Damn, that looks familiar. Where did I see this shot before?" It turns out that I know the woman who did the jewelry for the shot. She was one of my (now former) co-worker, Liz Law.

    What a small world...

    Hope everything good on your end. I'm still plugging away at school and hope to get back into photography in February.

    ReplyDelete