Friday, January 15, 2010

Crap. I'm a bad photographer.

I've been a bad photographer for a while now, but I simply haven't noticed... but I'm finding more and more that I'm covering up photographic mistakes via retouching.

Which means:

A) I'm a good retoucher and/or
B) I'm need to improve upon my photographic skills

But am I surprised? Of course not. I've been spending hours upon days upon weeks upon months retouching. Shooting? Not nearly as much. Not even close.

Here's the math. I shoot an average of 6 hours per session. Yet per picture, I'll spend an average of 3.5 hours retouching. I average 4 pictures per shoot so I'm at least looking at 14 hours retouching versus 6 hours shooting. There's the discrepancy behind why my retouching has improved so much faster than my photography skills.

But I promise to shoot better. I'll read. I'll practice. I'll prepare. I'll test more. I will. Really.

Besides the retoucher is pissed off that the photographer is always making these elemental mistakes. That being said, the photographer is more of a performer and reacting whereas the retoucher is more analytical and calculating. The photographer has moments to capture an frame whereas the retoucher has lifetimes (in comparison) to perfect an image.

But at least I realize that I'm a bad photographer... shame on me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment