Thursday, June 10, 2010

First impressions

I want to talk about first impressions. I don't care if you're a photographer, makeup artist, designer, model, agency representative, or what. It doesn't matter. This applies to EVERYONE.

As a random example: When a responds to my lookbook casting, I'm looking at everything she says, everything she doesn't say, when she say what she says. How she says what she says. The interview starts at with the first impression.

I wholeheartedly believe that it bodes poorly for our working relationship if you demonstrate that you can't follow directions, don't call when you say you'll call, arrive late, etc. Especially when the designer has no tolerance for "risk".

There are always people that believe they are the exception to the rule. That normal "rules" don't apply to them. Those people are delusional. You are not irreplaceable. Trust me. Everyone is expendable.

On the flip-side, when you are professional, polite, and overall just a nice person to deal with, people will take notice. All things being equal I'd rather work with someone easy-going than someone who is a complete diva. Maybe I'm crazy? :)

3 comments:

  1. Howdy Charles,

    I think it was Woody Allen that said that you're 90 percent there if you just show up on time (or was that Albert Einstein...)

    I totally agree with you, and no, I don't think you're insane for thinking this is true. Everyone is expendable, and a pretty face is about a dime a dozen in the fashion world, as far as I can tell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thomas, that's how I feel when I go to the gym for my workouts... that's why I always leave 10 minutes later ;P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charles,

    Ha! I guess it depends on how hard you work out in those 10 minutes. :)

    ReplyDelete