Wednesday, November 9, 2011

"Tilting"


Bekka at Vasquaz Rocks

I've been asked to talk about "tilting".

I had no idea it even had a name. I think "tilting" refers to shooting an image without regards to the horizon being flat and straight. My initial response was that I hadn't thought about it enough to verbalize an intelligent response.

Well, here's my attempt at verbalizing an intelligent response.

I know sometimes "tilting" for me is a matter of trying to fit more of the model into the frame. And if that model is sitting or lying down or in an different position, the traditional landscape or portrait angle isn't going to work. So #1, practicality.

Other times, it's simply accidental. I am constantly moving as often as the model is moving so along with zooming and other adjustments, I'm also rotating my camera. So #2, pure accident.

Truth is, I don't do it as often as I should. Most of the time I do it, it's a closer crop with less focus on the background because no one will be bothered by the misaligned horizon. So I guess #3, when the background doesn't matter as much.

So there you have it, a faint verbalization of "tilting". Truth is, it's one of those things that just happens for me and I don't put that much thought into it.

4 comments:

  1. I tilt constantly in my shots. It think it's referred as a Dutch Angle by some. My reason is to get the whole girl in the shot, plus it seems to be so much more dynamic then the simple vertical girl in a rectangle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've heard Dutch angle. Tilting is probably not the best word as it has a very specific meaning in cinematography (as in pan and tilt).

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a nice capture Charles. Is Bekka as awesome to work with as she appears in the videos I've seen?

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jody, Bekka is a phenom. No other model out there like her.

    ReplyDelete